Friday, March 9, 2012

These are the first  pieces of work on my new Blog I have chosen just a few of the  local scenes around Manhattan Beach my home town. I hope you like them. Luisa.

Up Hill Alley
All these color sketches are in a moleskin 5x7 sketch pad on watercolor paper. Light pencil underdrawing.

Marine and Ocean Drive


Ocean Drive


This is a favorite - color palette works - interesting sky - I used white masking fluid for the clouds. Masking fluid is a very handy substance - I use it throughout my watercolors to give a graphic quality - and I like white paper showing through the painting. A fine point pen was used to fill in the wires.

The Strand towards Santa Monica

Quick study - the shadows caught my eye and the beautiful Santa Monica mountains.



An Ocean walk street

The shadows and wires add interest to this walkstreet - quite simple composition - but it works!


Down Hill Alley
Possibly one of my more successful studies on this theme. I am pleased with the color palette, the pastels and strong shadows.
I sometimes do a black and white sketch - then xerox up or down and reproduce on watercolor paper - or just sketch straight in the book - as below.

A color sketch in My SketchBook with a 2'' sea urchin for scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment